Shop With Amazon

Http://terrysthoughtsandthreads.blogspot.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com

Saturday, January 21, 2012

Memoirs of Beatrix Potter and her "little books"

I have long loved Peter Rabbit and his little friends in the wonderfully verdant imagination of Beatrix Potter. I've collected rabbit figurines in general, but treasure the few (two) that I have of her characters. I have a tiny version of Jemima Puddleduck, and a small Peter Rabbit music box given to me by a dear friend. When I saw these two hardcover books on sale in the "used" category at Amazon.com, I couldn't resist. Here are my reviews, predictably five stars each!


The Tale of Beatrix Potter: A BiographyThe Tale of Beatrix Potter: A Biography by Margaret Lane

My rating: 5 of 5 stars

This is a lovely story written by a lovely English Lady, wife of an Earl, and biographer to many other authors, and a novelist herself as well.


I particularly enjoyed the portions covering Beatrix Potter's childhood summers spent in Scotland, and her time enjoyed with her "grandmama" who allowed her to read in the family's literary collections.


That this biography was published by the Warne company, the same company that published Beatrix's "little books," just adds to the delight in owning this book. It is one that I will save for my own grandchildren, and their children.




Beatrix Potter: Artist, Storyteller and CountrywomanBeatrix Potter: Artist, Storyteller and Countrywoman by Judy Taylor

My rating: 5 of 5 stars

This is another biography of Beatrix Potter rich with the original sketches, watercolors, and family photographs that flesh out the sketchy public knowledge of her life. It is again written by an Englishwoman with some standing: Judy Taylor was invited by Frederick Warne , the publisher of Beatrix's books, to be a Beatrix Potter Consultant.


Taylor is also a novelist, and has studied Potter and her writings since a child herself. She has extended Potter's work into the late twentieth century, adding a baby book with Potter's little friends.


The writing is clear, but the illustrations and photographs are the heart and soul of this biography. I believe both of these books together honor the work and life of Beatrix Potter.



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

Welcome! Thank you for reading here. I look forward to your comment!